Re: Group Commit

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Group Commit
Date: 2007-03-29 16:26:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I've been working on the patch to enhance our group commit behavior. The
> patch is a dirty hack at the moment, but I'm settled on the algorithm
> I'm going to use and I know the issues involved.
> The timeout is currently hard-coded at 1 ms.

This is where my bogometer triggered.  There's way too many platforms
where 1 msec timeout is a sheer fantasy.  If you cannot make it perform
well with a 10-msec timeout then I don't think it's going to be at all
portable.

Now I know that newer Linux kernels tend to ship with 1KHz scheduler
tick rate, so there's a useful set of platforms where you could make it
work even so, but I'm not really satisfied with saying "this facility is
only usable if you have a fast kernel tick rate" ...