Re: xlog flush request 0/215D32E4 is not satisfied

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Vadnais <tvadnais(at)bwks(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: xlog flush request 0/215D32E4 is not satisfied
Date: 2005-01-27 19:44:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Tim Vadnais <tvadnais(at)bwks(dot)com> writes:
> bwks=# \d product
> ERROR: xlog flush request 0/215D32E4 is not satisfied --- flushed only to
> 0/15138F7C
> CONTEXT: writing block 4 of relation 17143/1682159

This looks to me like a corrupted-data problem: specifically, the LSN
field of that particular page is pointing far past the actual end of
WAL. Unless you've been fooling with pg_resetxlog in the past on this
installation, the logical suspicion is some dropped bits either in RAM
or on disk. You might want to dig out pg_filedump or some such tool
(even plain old "od", in a pinch) and have a look at that page to see if
you can make any sense of what happened to it.

> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: xlog flush request 0/215D738C is
> not satisfied --- flushed only to 0/15138F7C
> CONTEXT: writing block 5 of relation 17143/1682159

It seems more than a tad odd that two different pages would have bogus
LSNs so close together, though. Are you sure no one has been taking
liberties with the DB, like trying to copy physical files from a
different installation?