Re: System lockup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: DeJuan Jackson <djackson(at)speedfc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: System lockup
Date: 2003-03-31 16:46:00
Lists: pgsql-general
DeJuan Jackson <djackson(at)speedfc(dot)com> writes:
> Both systems locks up, no faults, no core dumps, it just completely stop
> responding and has to be hard booted...  Beyond that your guess is as
> good as mine.

The whole system freezes, not only Postgres?  In that case I don't think
you need to guess very hard: you've got a hardware problem.  Well, maybe
it could be a kernel bug, but I'd bet hardware.  In any case, Postgres
is an unprivileged user process: it can *not* lock up the rest of the
system.  It could tickle a kernel bug that results in a lockup, but that
doesn't make it Postgres' fault.