Re: Large SGML Cleanup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large SGML Cleanup
Date: 2010-11-03 03:15:26
Lists: pgsql-docs
Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> This HTML fails validation, as one isn't supposed to be stuffing
> tables inside <p> nodes. The attached patch fixes all the instances of
> this I could find, by closing out <para> nodes before beginning lists
> and tables.

I think this isn't even worth thinking about applying, unless you can
provide a way to get future cases of that to fail during "make html".
The chances that it'll stay fixed without such a check are not
distinguishable from zero.

An alternative that might be more workable is to fix the toolchain
so that it generates valid HTML from what is evidently perfectly
acceptable SGML.