Re: Unable to create or drop plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jason Underdown" <jasonu(at)xmission(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to create or drop plpgsql
Date: 2003-06-21 02:43:49
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jason Underdown" <jasonu(at)xmission(dot)com> writes:
> [jason(at)user-44 jason]$ createlang plpgsql esi
> ERROR: function plpgsql_call_handler already exists with same argument
> types
> createlang: language installation failed
> [jason(at)user-44 jason]$
> [jason(at)user-44 jason]$ droplang plpgsql esi
> droplang: language "plpgsql" is not installed in database esi

You seem to have gotten stuck in a halfway-done state: the pg_language
table entry for plpgsql isn't there, but the pg_proc entry for its
supporting language handler is there. What you'll have to do is
manually drop the pg_proc entry. Try this SQL command as superuser:
drop function plpgsql_call_handler();
After that createlang should work.

If this is on a current release, I'd be interested to know how you got
into this state.