Re: PATCH: regular logging of checkpoint progress

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tomas Vondra" <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: regular logging of checkpoint progress
Date: 2011-09-02 19:23:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Tomas Vondra" <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> writes:
> On 2 Z 2011, 20:48, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, if we're going to have this at all, some form of GUC control over
>> it seems necessary.  I'm still disturbed by the verbosity of the
>> proposed output though.  Couldn't we collapse the information into a
>> single log entry per checkpoint cycle?  Perhaps that would be sufficient
>> to just let the log_checkpoints setting be used as-is.

> I'm not sure what you mean by collapsing the info into a single log entry?
> That would mean I'd have to wait till the checkpoint completes, and one of
> the reasons for this patch was to get info about progress while the
> checkpoint is running.

Well, to be blunt, putting stuff into the postmaster log is entirely the
wrong way to satify a requirement like that.  If you want to expose
progress information, it should be exposed via something dynamic like
pg_stat_activity.  What could be useful to log is statistics that people
might want to aggregate later, and I don't immediately see a reason why
such stats couldn't be logged just once at end of each checkpoint cycle.