Re: Max Number of Databases on a Server.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: daleedom(at)hightowergroup(dot)com (David A(dot) Leedom)
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Max Number of Databases on a Server.
Date: 2002-04-15 15:19:44
Lists: pgsql-admin
daleedom(at)hightowergroup(dot)com (David A. Leedom) writes:
> If I created 100 separate databases on a Linux Server would this be a
> problem?  Or is the issue more related to concurrent connections?

If you're talking about multiple databases served by a single
postmaster, I don't believe it's much of an issue.  You might start to
notice performance problems when you got past a few thousands, but
that'd have more to do with kernel performance (slow lookup for many
files in one directory) than Postgres itself.

Concurrent connections is a much more interesting question, but no one
can give you any interesting answers without a lot more assumptions
than "typical Linux server".  How much iron is that really, and what
are your concurrent users going to be doing?