Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields

From: Sam Halliday <sam(dot)halliday(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields
Date: 2009-04-26 11:40:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Zerolo wrote:

> Note that I'm not talking about stealing the hardware, but hijacking,
> trojanizing, whatever. That's the real threat, in this
> Javascript/Flash/Silverlight infested world.

I'm still talking about theft of machines (particularly laptops) as that is
a major threat. One need only read the British newspapers to discover story
after story of articles where "sensitive information was on a laptop which
was stolen". As pointed out elsewhere, psql + encrypted drive is entirely
unpractical as no OS is setup to ask for an encrypted drive password on boot
(similarly for headless machines, user interaction is required). A practical
solution that accomplishes the same goals as the encrypted drive is
necessary.