Re: transaction log location

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Childs <blue(dot)dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Marcin Gil <marcin(dot)gil(at)audax(dot)com(dot)pl>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transaction log location
Date: 2003-09-25 13:31:26
Lists: pgsql-novice
Peter Childs <blue(dot)dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> 1. Shut it down the database.
> 2. Move data/pg_xlog and data/pg_clog to another drive.
> 3. Symlink data/pg_xlog and data/pg_clog to this other drive.
> 4. Restart the database.

Actually, my recommendation would be to leave pg_clog on the data drive;
it's more of a data file than a log.  The reason for putting WAL
(pg_xlog) on a separate drive is that it'w written a lot, and written
perfectly sequentially, and so you can reduce seek overhead a bunch if
writing WAL is the only thing that particular disk head has to do.
Putting pg_clog onto the same drive introduces the seek overhead you
were trying to avoid.