Re: Case Preservation disregarding case sensitivity?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: beau hargis <beauh(at)bluefrogmobile(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case Preservation disregarding case sensitivity?
Date: 2006-10-31 03:23:30
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-sql
beau hargis <beauh(at)bluefrogmobile(dot)com> writes:
> Considering the differences that already exist between database systems and
> their varying compliance with SQL and the various extensions that have been
> created, I do not consider that the preservation of case for identifiers
> would violate any SQL standard.

That's not how I read the spec.  It is true that we are not 100% spec
compliant, but that isn't a good argument for moving further away from
spec.  Not to mention breaking backwards compatibility with our
historical behavior.  The change you propose would fix your application
at the cost of breaking other people's applications.   Perhaps you
should consider fixing your app instead.