Re: Request for download stats on release

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for download stats on release
Date: 2004-08-12 02:27:10
Lists: pgsql-www
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Maybe have an extension on initdb so that if run from a terminal, it
> prompts the installer for whether they want to send in a simple email
> letting us know its being used ... ?

I think this is a bad idea.  People will find it invasive of their
privacy, and even with it we'd still have no idea of real usage counts,
considering how many people would opt out --- or never see the prompt
in the first place, because they're using an RPM or .deb installation
that's going to run initdb non-interactively.

We used to have a request to send email in the message that got printed
by 'make install'.  How many people responded to that?  Darn few that
I can recall.