Re: configuring psqlodbc 08.04.0200 with openssl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Genova, Joseph" <Joseph(dot)Genova(at)HealthPort(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configuring psqlodbc 08.04.0200 with openssl
Date: 2010-03-25 19:59:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc
"Genova, Joseph" <Joseph(dot)Genova(at)HealthPort(dot)com> writes:
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga).
> psqlodbc 08.04.0200

> I'm trying to 'configure' psqlodbc 08.04.0200 without much success.  If I run configure with "--disable-openssl" flag it will complete the configure portion of the install.  but if I run ./configure without arguments, it fails with

> checking for SSL_read in -lssl... no
> configure: error: ssl library not found

> There isn't a '--with-opsnssl=/usr/lib/openssl' option.  I added it to configure.  nothing changes

> Do you have a suggestion, please ?

My suggestion: grab the current Fedora SRPM and see if you can build it
on RHEL5.  That way you'll have an RPM rather than some loose files,
which is a whole lot friendlier to manage on Red Hat-based systems.

FWIW, neither the RHEL5 nor the Fedora specfiles do anything special as
regards SSL.  What they *do* do is blow away the rather obsolete libtool
and autoconf stuff included in the psqlodbc package and replace them
with current-for-the-distro tools.  I suspect your issue above traces
to something the old autoconf script did wrong.  Or maybe you just
forgot to install openssl-devel.