Re: libedit on OS X?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tore Halset <halset(at)pvv(dot)ntnu(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libedit on OS X?
Date: 2003-12-08 21:14:55
Lists: pgsql-ports

Tore Halset <halset(at)pvv(dot)ntnu(dot)no> writes:
> It tries to link with readline, doesnt find that and tries once more
> with libedit. ld report that _readline are undefined. /

I fired up my beta copy of Panther and looked at libedit. It doesn't
seem to export any of the symbols required to be a plausible readline
substitute --- no readline(), none of the rl_xxx variables, etc. Nor
are any of the associated header files present.

So, no, you can't use this instead of readline. I'm a bit confused
why not though, since other people claim to have working configurations
like that. Perhaps what Apple is shipping is an ancient, un-featureful
version of libedit? Or something unrelated that happens to have the
same name?