Re: Free WAL caches on switching segments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free WAL caches on switching segments
Date: 2006-02-14 21:58:57
Lists: pgsql-patches
Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz> writes:
> Thinking about this, presumably any write intensive, multi-user
> benchmark would seem to be suitable, so would something like OSDL's
> DBT-2 actually be better to try?

I'm certainly not wedded to pgbench, give it a try.

BTW, I forgot to mention that it would be useful to try different
wal_sync_methods along with this.  The reason why it seems unlikely
the patch is useful on Linux is that the sync methods that use O_DIRECT
probably dominate using the patch anyway.  There may or may not be
a similar dependence on sync method on other kernels ...