Re: RC2 and open issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RC2 and open issues
Date: 2004-12-21 04:00:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> You need a "clock sweep" like BSD uses (and probably others).

No, that's *fundamentally* wrong.

The reason we are going to the trouble of maintaining a complicated
cache algorithm like ARC is so that we can tell the heavily used pages
from the lesser used ones.  To throw away that knowledge in favor of
doing I/O with a plain clock sweep algorithm is just wrong.

What's more, I don't even understand what clock sweep would mean given
that the ordering of the list is constantly changing.