Re: [REPOST] Remote database questions (NFS shared access, RServ)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Frampton <frampton(at)LinuxNinja(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [REPOST] Remote database questions (NFS shared access, RServ)
Date: 2001-10-09 13:32:26
Lists: pgsql-admin
Steve Frampton <frampton(at)LinuxNinja(dot)com> writes:
> even better solution seems to be to run my production (or backup mirror)
> from a NetApp over Gb NFS so there's no issues with replication.  Is it
> possible, safe, and advisable to share a PostgreSQL database file via NFS,
> as long as non-masters are only accessing it R/O?

No.  (a) there is no such thing as R/O access in Postgres; (b) the
non-masters would have no guarantee of seeing a consistent view,
due to buffering inside the master.

I don't even recommend mounting a database over NFS, let alone trying
to share it.  Too much risk of database corruption after a system crash,
because NFS provides only weak guarantees about write synchronization.
See the mailing list archives for past discussion about NFS risks.