Re: pgsql: Revert the behavior of inet/cidr functions to not unpack the arg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)iki(dot)fi>, Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Revert the behavior of inet/cidr functions to not unpack the arg
Date: 2011-12-12 18:48:01
Lists: pgsql-committers
> On Monday, December 12, 2011 09:29:23 AM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Revert the behavior of inet/cidr functions to not unpack the arguments.

> Whats the plan to handle this wrt a stable release?

I was wondering whether we shouldn't revert the original patch
altogether in the back branches.  As far as I'd heard, there were
no reports of the previous coding causing real trouble, and this
episode demonstrates that there is a possibility to make things
worse rather than better.  I think maybe we'd better treat this
change as something to make in HEAD only.