Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: stange(at)rentec(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date: 2006-05-12 20:27:06
Lists: pgsql-ports
Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com> writes:
> - postgresql HEAD when using the Solaris compilers spro9 or newer will
> only run on v9 based hardware using v8plus or v9 platform.
> - postgresql HEAD when using gcc will run on anything as they generate
> code for the v7 platform by default and the cas instruction isn't used
> in any assembler code in postgresql.

I gather from the contents of solaris_sparc.s that the Sun compilers can
be expected to define __sparcv9 if compiling for v9 hardware.  I'm
inclined to #ifdef things so that we use cas if that symbol's defined and
ldstub if not.  I'm not sure if gcc can be expected to define the same
symbol --- we might end up using ldstub always, even if we try to
conditionalize the code for gcc.

Or we could just revert to ldstub.  This seems like a lot of complexity
for a so-far-entirely-hypothetical performance gain ...