Re: Bug #746: Drop user damages security on tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: parkerm(at)hst(dot)stoneridge(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #746: Drop user damages security on tables
Date: 2002-08-26 14:42:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> A user was setup and had GRANT permissions on individual tables in a database. After the user was dropped, using the /z from psql command line showed the user ID still existing in the individual table permissions. After the drop, several other users then were unable to execute SELECT or INSERT on this table. These users would get a -601 error when trying to do a SELECT or INSERT. Also, trying to REVOKE permissions on the user ID that belonged to the dropped user resulted in a parse error.

What is a "-601 error"? There's surely no such message in Postgres.

Also, "a parse error" is quite an unhelpful report. Show us the exact
command you tried to issue.

It's true that DROP USER doesn't do anything about removing ACL entries
that reference that user, but there are no known problems resulting
from that, so I'm suspicious that your report is entirely user error.
Without seeing a reproducible test case it's difficult to do anything
anyway.