Re: Build fails for pl/tcl on OpenBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Build fails for pl/tcl on OpenBSD
Date: 2001-05-07 21:09:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I had a pltcl issue here yesterday. I fixed the problem, but I noted
> that pltcl is linked not using information from Makefile.shlib, but
> using commands from tclConfig.sh. Not sure this is wrong, but it
> certainly can cause problems if tclConfig.sh and Makefile.shlib don't
> match.

Yes, we deliberately build the Tcl and Perl interfaces and PL modules
with those systems' preferred compilers and switches, and have done so
since PG 7.0 (at least, maybe earlier). IIRC, this was forced by the
observation that the other way didn't work.

Curious that so many people are complaining of pl/tcl failures now,
when there were almost no such reports for 7.0. AFAIK, 7.0 should have
been equally vulnerable. Perhaps someone has just recently started
distributing Tcl packages containing bogus tclConfig information?