Re: BUG #2406: Not all systems support SHM_SHARE_MMU

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul van der Zwan <Paul(dot)Vanderzwan(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2406: Not all systems support SHM_SHARE_MMU
Date: 2006-04-25 18:34:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Paul van der Zwan <Paul(dot)Vanderzwan(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> On 25-apr-2006, at 16:46, Tom Lane wrote:
>> AFAICS, SHM_SHARE_MMU has no
>> guaranteed semantic effect anyway, it's just a performance hint; so
>> ignoring it on platforms that can't handle it is reasonable.
>>
> I disagree, I have no definite info  why it is a hard failure,
> probably because
> there is no way to communicate to the app that it's request is
> ignored.

Which applications do you think will do anything except exactly what you
are proposing we do, ie, just redo the call without the flag bit?  Why
are you going to make every application jump through this hoop in order
to cope with a (possibly temporary) inadequacy in some seldom-used
versions of Solaris?

We'll probably put in the kluge because we have no other choice, but
I strongly disagree that it's our problem.