Re: Commit gets locked until vacuum is performed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Xavier Santana <xsantana(at)slash-solutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commit gets locked until vacuum is performed
Date: 2010-07-12 18:30:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Xavier Santana <xsantana(at)slash-solutions(dot)com> writes:
> I'm using JDBC driver 8.1-413.jdbc3 to access a PostgreSQL 8.1.3
> database on windows.
> Sometimes, when my application performs a commit of a transaction with
> maybe 100 or 200 inserts, the operation gets locked, with no error
> message or exception.
> When that happens, if I perform a vacuum over the database (for example
> from pgAdmin), the operation unlocks and the commit finishes correctly.

> Any idea of what can be happening?

Hard to say, but PG 8.1.3 on Windows is not a good place to be. The
oldest branch that is considered supported on Windows is 8.2.x, and
even there you want 8.2.pretty-recent. I'd try an update and see if the
problem goes away. If you can still reproduce it on the latest version
of a supported branch, please file a bug report.