Re: PostGres Text Search

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: chrisr(at)hawaii(dot)rr(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGres Text Search
Date: 2008-04-29 02:39:04
Lists: pgsql-general
<chrisr(at)hawaii(dot)rr(dot)com> writes:
> For instance if I have the abbreviation "HLA", I would want it to be hit for a search on any of the terms "high", "level", or "architecture" or any combination thereof.  Now from the documentation they have a sample synonym dictionary file that contains something like:

> postgres pg
> postgresql pg
> postgre pg

> and this will return 'pg' as the lexeme for any of those terms, however, what I want to do is go the other way, and have one term return hits for several terms, but I'm not sure If i can make this work with a synonym dictionary or not.

Synonym translates one word to one other word, so it won't help you
here.  You could use the contrib/dict_xsyn module, which does exactly
what you suggest.  Or if you want to stick to features that are in core,
the thesaurus dictionary would do, though it seems to be a bit more
complicated to set up.