Re: How hard would it be to support LIKE in return declaration of generic record function calls ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How hard would it be to support LIKE in return declaration of generic record function calls ?
Date: 2012-05-03 14:33:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> You guys seem to be taking the original proposal off into the weeds. I
> have often wanted to be able to use LIKE in type expressions, and I'd
> like to see exactly that implemented.

This notion of "anytypename" is utterly unworkable anyway; there's no
way for the parser to know soon enough that a given argument position
needs to be read as a type name rather than a normal expression.
You could conceivably make it work with the argument being a regtype
literal (ie, quoted); but that seems at least as klugy as what hstore
is doing.