Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Randy Isbell <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs
Date: 2007-03-07 21:54:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Randy Isbell <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com> writes:
> Here you go:
> SELECT
>          ctid,xmin,xmax,cmin,cmax,oid,*

Thanks.  This is real interesting, because none of the rows have
xmax/cmax set, so it doesn't appear that they were meant to have been
updated out of existence.

> For the at_dns table, it appears one column (ac_soa_serial) changes.

Does that correspond to something your application does, ie UPDATE
ac_soa_serial to a new value without changing anything else?  I'm trying
to guess if the duplicates arose by means of a misfiring UPDATE, or if
they were independent insertions.  Is it plausible that two rows that
are the same except for ac_soa_serial would be inserted by your app?
If the latter, a possible theory is that the OID counter is somehow
being rolled back by the dump/reload process.