Re: pg_upgrade automatic testing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade automatic testing
Date: 2011-09-02 19:04:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> In any case, it would be good to get rid of the limitation if possible.
>> Then we could look at creating an automated test that we could use in
>> the buildfarm.

> Well, the idea of using the catalog version was that it is something we
> expect would change during any change in the system catalogs or internal
> data format that would require the use of pg_upgrade.  I am unclear what
> other fixed value we could use for this.

IMO there's next to no value in testing that scenario anyway, since
nobody would ever use it in the field.  What *would* be of value is
testing upgrades from previous release versions.  Probably that will
take some work in the buildfarm infrastructure as well as figuring out a
non-problematic test case to use, but that's the direction we need to
head in.

The other reasonable use-case for pg_upgrade is migrating a development
or beta-test installation across a catversion bump, but again the
tablespace directory name is not a restriction.  Perhaps we could have
a test that involves checking out the
commit-just-before-the-last-catversion-change and seeing if we can
migrate from that.