Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...
Date: 2000-11-25 01:27:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> Collation was the same, regardless of the --enable-locale
> setting. I got lots of 'bug' reports about the RPM's failing
> regression, giving an unexpected sort order (see the archives -- the
> best model thread's start post is:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1999-12/msg00587.html).

Hmm. I reviewed that thread and found this comment from you:

: > Any differences in the environment variables maybe?
:
: In a nutshell, yes. /etc/sysconfig/i18n on the fresh install sets LANG,
: LC_ALL, and LINGUAS all to be "en_US". The upgraded machine at home doesn't
: have an /etc/sysconfig/i18n -- nor does the RH 6.0 box.

That makes it sounds like /etc/sysconfig/i18n is not what I'd assumed
(namely, a data file read at runtime by libc) but only a bit of shell
script that sets exported environment variables during bootup. I don't
have that file here, so could you enlighten me as to exactly what it
is/does?

If it is just setting some default environment variables for the system,
then it isn't anything we can't deal with by forcing setlocale() at
postmaster start. That'd make me feel a lot better ;-)