Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta2 compile error with Sun CC.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Round <mark(at)markround(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta2 compile error with Sun CC.
Date: 2004-09-24 15:40:06
Lists: pgsql-ports
Mark Round <mark(at)markround(dot)com> writes:
> If it is changed to ".section", any SunOS 4.1.x -based (pre-1992) system
> will fail to compile it.

Hmm.  AFAIK no one has cared about SunOS for a couple of years now.
I was more concerned about whether there were any Solaris versions
that would fail to recognize .section.

> I am guessing here (not a programmer), but as the ".seg" pseudo-op was a
> SunOS 4.1.x construct, you could probably check for a 5.x version of
> SunOS, and in which case, set the lines to ".section". I am not sure
> what the appropriate #ifdef lines should look like, but will try to find
> out for you.

When I went looking a few days ago, it wasn't clear that there were any
predefined symbols that would let one tell the difference --- "__sun"
seems to be the only OS-specific predefine on Solaris, and I imagine it
was defined in SunOS too.  But if you find out anything please do let me
know.