Re: time problem with postgres ODBC driver (fwd)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: time problem with postgres ODBC driver (fwd)
Date: 2002-02-12 18:37:35
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It sounds like ODBC (or the client application) is misinterpreting the
>> datatype of col2 as being a "date" or "date/time" type not "time of
>> day".  There is a translation between PG internal types and the ODBC
>> standard's notion of types, so one possible explanation is that there's
>> something getting lost in translation.

> What's even more interesting is that casting doesn't help -
> col2::time still returns the current date.

No, of course it wouldn't --- the column coming out of the backend is
PG's "time" type either way.  I'm sure that the unwanted conversion to
a date or datetime value (with, evidently, implicit fill-in of today's
date) is happening on the client side.

I don't know if our ODBC code should be blamed or if it's a
client-application bug.  A quick look at the ODBC sources makes it
appear that the ODBC code reports ODBC type code "SQL_TIME" for a
PG "time" column, which seems a reasonable mapping to me, but I'm
no ODBC expert.

> Us too.  The only difference is that that ODBC driver was an older version
> than the new one that was downloaded and started this problem

Hmm, so perhaps the problem could have been triggered by a recent "fix".
I looked at 7.1 and 7.2 ODBC sources and they seemed about the same in
this respect.  Do you know what version the GB driver was, exactly?