Re: Server Crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Crash
Date: 2008-04-22 16:32:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks. Just wondering, what's the difference in behavior from
> pgsql's perspective from sigquit and siqkill? Is sigkill more
> dangerous than sigquit?

Yes it is, because sigkill can't be trapped --- it causes instant
process death with no chance to clean up. Not that we have backends
do a lot of cleanup after sigquit either, but at least the option
exists. The real difference is in the postmaster: kill -9 on the
postmaster is a seriously bad idea, because it gets no chance to shut
down its children.