Re: Problems with 7.3.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with 7.3.1
Date: 2002-12-26 18:44:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Olivier PRENANT <ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr> writes:
> Compile works ok however make check fails wile creating pl/pgsql with :
> WARNING: bt_getroot[pg_proc_proname_nsp_index]: fixing root page
> ERROR: bt_fixroot: not valid old root page.

Wow.  Is the behavior reproducible?  How about if you go ahead and
install, and do a plain "make installcheck" (or even just try a manual
createlang in a fresh database)?

That code thinks it is dealing with a concurrent index root page split,
but there couldn't be any concurrent operations happening during the
create-plpgsql step of a regression test run.  Can you step through
_bt_getroot() (it's in src/backend/access/nbtree/nbtpage.c) and figure
out exactly how it's getting confused?

If the behavior is reproducible I'm inclined to suspect a compiler bug;
it's hard to see how _bt_getroot could get so confused otherwise.