Re: Restore database from tablespace

From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "dev(dot)pho" <dev(dot)pho(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restore database from tablespace
Date: 2010-01-28 21:11:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Grittner
> "dev.pho" <dev(dot)pho(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if I could restore the database from the location
>> of the tablespace.
>
> It's not clear exactly what you want to do.  Have you read through
> the documentation on backup and restore?:

I don't know if this was the intent but it did provide me with what I
thought was a good idea.
 * Snapshot a schema / tablespace / database to another schema /
tablespace / database.

The applications for this could be
 * an alternative to the existing backup methods
 * using the copy for testing purposes without having to create-drop database
 * providing stock data for application demos without fear of losing
the original
 * quick recovery to a known good schema and data

Could the mechanics behind pg_start_backup() assist with the
development of such a feature?

It's just a rough idea.

Greg