Re: Doubt in Backup

From: Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)me(dot)com>
To: Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doubt in Backup
Date: 2011-03-21 16:54:17
Lists: pgsql-general

> Dear all,
>
> 2 days ago, I need to backup 2 databases in my Database server because I need to format the system and reinstalls again with the back up databases.
>
> After a fresh install of ubuntu-10.4 , I install postgreplus-8.4 binary and I think giving the previous data directory /hdd2-1/postgres_data during installation for my own testing.

You really shouldn't backup the filesystem to backup your database. There are many situations where it will not work and you will shoot yourself in the foot. You should really use pg_dump or pg_dumpall. See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/backup.html and http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/backup-file.html for more information.