Re: Still lockin up...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: herbie(at)nextearth(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Still lockin up...
Date: 2001-01-27 19:53:19
Lists: pgsql-novice
Herbie Pabst <herbie(at)nextearth(dot)com> writes:
> Thank you for replying. I now have gotten as far as doing "initdb" and
> have a template1 in "base" directory. Now when I run Postmaster it asks
> for a data path, I use "-D" option and supply the path and run
> postmaster but if locks up the computer and pgsql never starts.

It's hardly likely that it "locks up the computer".  Are you typing
"postmaster" in a shell window and expecting the command to terminate?
It won't, nor will it automatically launch a psql for you.  The
postmaster is just a daemon that you are supposed to start up as a
background process.  See the admin guide, eg
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/postmaster-start.htm
(note that these docs are for 7.1, but they mostly apply to the 7.0
version that I suppose you are running).