Re: How to move a DB from one server to another...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Federico Simonetti (Etheye)" <flame(at)etheye(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to move a DB from one server to another...
Date: 2005-06-22 22:29:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
"Federico Simonetti (Etheye)" <flame(at)etheye(dot)com> writes:
> I've even tried to zip the entire database folder, but no luck. I'm stuck
> with this problem. Why is it so difficult to move a database from one server
> to another?

You can move the entire $PGDATA tree --- not parts, all of it --- to
another machine of the same architecture running the same major Postgres
release.  Anything else is not going to work.  It's a good idea to be
sure the postmaster is shut down while you copy the directory tree.

If you thought you were doing that, then let's see the exact error
messages you get.