Re: Problems

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: "Jessica Luchesi" <jessica(at)apaixonadas(dot)net>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems
Date: 2001-11-19 13:26:25
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hello!

I noticed the very same strange behaviour under Win2k Server, too. Under
Win2k Professional, everything installs fine as long as the Cygwin IPC
daemon is running as service. Under Win2k Server however, an IPC daemon
running as service just doesn't do the trick - initdb just hangs on
creating the database.

I found a solution to the problem however (I just don't know if it's
"neat" enough to find everyone's approval :) ):

Install the cygwin ipc-daemon and the postmaster as services just as
desribed in the readme. Then go to the services manager and stop the ipc
daemon if it's running. Go to the cygwin bash and run the daemon as
ordinary process ($ ipc-daemon & [Enter]); then do the initdb as
described, do a ps x|grep ipc and kill the ipc-daemon process, then go
to the services manager and start the Cygwin ipc-daemon service. Having
ipc-daemon running as ordinary process during initdb did the trick for
me - as I said before, I couldn't get initdb to complete with ipc-demon
running as service under win2k Server, just under Professional. I still
wonder why, so if anyone manages to bring some light into that
situation, I'd happy to hear about it, too.

Greetings,

	Markus

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----