Re: connection dropping continued

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Josh Endries" <jendries(at)pragmeta(dot)com>,<pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connection dropping continued
Date: 2004-02-18 00:00:06
Lists: pgadmin-support
Hi!

	-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
	Von: Andreas Pflug
	Gesendet: Di 17.02.2004 21:10
	An: Dave Page
	Cc: Markus Wollny; Josh Endries; pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
	Betreff: Re: [pgadmin-support] connection dropping continued

	Actually, it can be considered a BUG in the firewall, if it
disconnects
	a tcpip session without sending the proper disconnect packet to
the
	server, which assumes the connection being still valid and
sitting on
	that open socket. Even web servers, routinely equipped with
timeout
	functions themselves, would be delighted to be noticed about
disconnects
	ASAP, to clean up services and save resources.

I don't know if it doesn't notify the server, I haven't noticed anything
there. As far as I know the server might be notified all right and the
connection closed - though surely the client doesn't receive any such
notification, otherwise it wouldn't sit there and wait for a response
from the server before finally throwing the timeout-errormessage. It's
really just a minor nag, so if the suggested workaround does indeed
involve digging arround in thread-concurrency issues, it's not worth it.
Sorry to have brought up the subject again, but I didn't find the
previous end of the same discussion and thus was not aware of the
complexity.

Regards

Markus

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Adam H.PendletonDate: 2004-02-18 02:22:00
Previous:From: Markus WollnyDate: 2004-02-17 22:51:48