Re: Question about character encoding

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about character encoding
Date: 2002-02-21 14:30:21
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jean-Michel POURE [mailto:jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr] wrote:

> SQL_ASCII encoding can handle most european languages, including
German. So,
> just create a database with SQL_ASCII encoding. And this will solve
your
> problem.

Thanks - that did it. I just didn't think ASCII was the correct encoding
as one usually relates ascii to one-byte standard characters.

One more question though: It's actually possible to create databases
with names in capital letters using PGAdmin II. As it's impossible to
drop databases in PGAdmin, I tried to do it via pgsql. It seems however,
that psql just automatically converts anything to lower case, therefore
giving me "ERROR: DROP DATABASE: database "test" does not exist" when I
try "drop database TEST;".
When doing "select * from pg_database;" on template1 "TEST" is sitting
there, glaring, without me being able to kick it. Therefore I have the
impression that it's absolutely not advisable to create any object with
capitals in it's name via PG Admin II. Is that correct? If so, why not
automatically convert any names in the connect string to lower case, in
order to prevent this from happening? Would there be still some way of
dropping such a database even though it's not possible with neither PG
Admin II nor psql?

Cheers & thanks for your support,

Markus