Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-15 23:53:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> writes:

>> Yes!

> The plan here was to let VACUUM handle renaming the file, since it
> will already have all the necessary locks. This shortens the window
> of confusion. ALTER TABLE RENAME doesn't happen that often, really -
> the relname is there just for human consumption, then.

Yeah, I've seen tons of discussion of how if we do this, that, and
the other thing, and be prepared to fix up some other things in case
of crash recovery, we can make it work with filename == relname + OID
(where relname tracks logical name, at least at some remove).

Probably. Assuming nobody forgets anything.

I'm just trying to point out that that's a huge amount of pretty
delicate mechanism. The amount of work required to make it trustworthy
looks to me to dwarf the admin tools that Bruce is complaining about.
And we only have a few people competent to do the work. (With all
due respect, Ross, if you weren't already aware of the implications
for mdblindwrt, I have to wonder what else you missed.)

Filename == OID is so simple, reliable, and straightforward by
comparison that I think the decision is a no-brainer.

If we could afford to sink unlimited time into this one issue then
it might make sense to do it the hard way, but we have enough
important stuff on our TODO list to keep us all busy for years ---
I cannot believe that it's an effective use of our time to do this.

> Hmm, what's all this with functions in catalog.c that are only called by
> smgr/md.c? seems to me that anything having to do with physical storage
> (like the path!) belongs in the smgr abstraction.

Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff that should have been implemented by
adding new smgr entry points, but wasn't. It should be pushed down.
(I can't resist pointing out that one of those things is physical
relation rename, which will go away and not *need* to be pushed down
if we do it the way I want.)