Re: psql enhancement idea

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql enhancement idea
Date: 2004-10-21 19:40:14
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Uwe C. Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com> writes:
> I'm just doing a load of database transfers using pg_dump. Because I changed
> the schema of quite some tables I have to dump full column inserts.

I don't think that conclusion follows from that premise.  In recent
pg_dump versions (any that use a column list with COPY, which I think is
7.3 or later) there is no fundamental disadvantage to using COPY; it
should be semantically equivalent to INSERT-with-column-list commands.

The only reason I can see for using the INSERT option anymore is if you
think that some of the row insertions might fail, and you don't want
that to stop the load altogether.  If that's what you want, then you'd
certainly not want to wrap the load in BEGIN/END, so there doesn't seem
to be much point in adding an option to do it.