Re: pg_upgrade segfaults when given an invalid PGSERVICE value

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Steve Singer <ssinger(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade segfaults when given an invalid PGSERVICE value
Date: 2013-03-25 23:07:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> We are taking this approach because PQconndefaults() doesn't have an API
> to return the error cause, while other API calls do.  Returning true so
> we can later report the right error from a later API call just feels
> wrong.

Well, plan B would be to invent a replacement function that does have
the ability to return an error message, but that seems like a lot of
work for a problem that's so marginal that it wasn't noticed till now.
(It's not so much creating the function that worries me, it's fixing
clients to use it.)

Plan C would be to redefine bogus value of PGSERVICE as not an error,
period.