Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: markw(at)osdl(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,osdldbt-general(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5
Date: 2003-11-01 05:19:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
markw(at)osdl(dot)org writes:
> 7.4beta5 offers more throughput.  One significant difference I see is in
> the oprofile for the database.  For the additional 7% increase in the
> metric, there are about 32% less ticks in SearchCatCache.

Hmm.  I have been profiling PG for some years now, and I cannot remember
ever seeing a profile in which SearchCatCache topped everything else
(the usual suspects for me are palloc/pfree support code).  Can you give
any explanation why it looks like that?  Can your profiling code tell
where the hotspot call sites of SearchCatCache are?