Re: Missing functionality in ResultSetMetaData ?

From: Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing functionality in ResultSetMetaData ?
Date: 2005-08-09 21:19:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 8/9/05, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> wrote:

> > I'm trying to extract the source tables from a result set for a
> > arbitrary select query. For this I use the
> >
> > ResultSetMetaData.getTableName(int columnIndex)
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2005-01/msg00220.php
>
> Please see this message and the discussion referenced at the bottom of it
> for why we do not support getTableName, but instead provide a pg specific
> getBaseTableName method.

Ok, thanks, I see. However, from what I read in the thread the
question in the mail that you referenced, as to why
PGResultSetMetadata does not extend ResultSetMetadata, and as a result
the getTableName method is mapped onto getBaseTableName, is still
valid IMO. Especially if the information seems to be readily
available. Would you consider this change for an upcoming release ?

regards,
Tom