Re: Another help needed on Window client

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vernon <vwu725(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another help needed on Window client
Date: 2005-03-24 03:23:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Vernon <vwu725(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0>runas /user:user01
> cmd.exe
> Enter the password for user01:
> Attempting to start cmd.exe as user "<D..>\user01" ...

> A new command prompt window is popup. In the new
> command prompt window, I have the following:

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> C:\PROGRA~1\PostgreSQL\8.0>bin\psql template1
> Password:
> psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user
> "user01"

> Here I type into the same password as in the previous
> command and that is the password used during the
> installation.

It sounds like you are assuming that the Windows system password for
user01 is the same as the Postgres password for user01. This is not
necessarily true. You might want to go in and directly do an ALTER USER
WITH PASSWORD command to be sure you have the right Postgres password
set. (If you can't get in to do that, temporarily set auth method
"trust" instead of "md5" in the pg_hba.conf file.)