Re: Seeking Restoration Advice

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Aaron Woehler" <awoehler(at)gemstate(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Seeking Restoration Advice
Date: 2007-04-12 15:29:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Aaron Woehler" <awoehler(at)gemstate(dot)org> writes:
> I have a Debian/Postgres 7.1.2 server where root partition went bad but the
> database partition is fine. I've rebuilt an installation on a new drive and
> am in the process of trying to restore the data. I have the old drive
> mounted fine and can see the data directory.

> My thought process was to simply install the same version of postgresql that
> was on the old server from it's source but I'm getting the following error.
> ./configure
> checking types of arguments for accept()... configure: error: could not
> determine argument types

Hm, did you reinstall the same Debian version as before, or something
(much) newer? What this looks like to me is that the system header
files have changed in a way that 7.1's ancient configure script doesn't
handle.

Based on the error messages, it seems <sys/types.h> won't compile on its
own, which seems a bit odd ... [ pokes around... ] The only promising
idea I have is to add this:

CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_GNU_SOURCE"

into 7.1's src/template/linux.

Oh, one other thing: do the first few lines of configure's output look
sane, in particular is it selecting the linux template in the first
place? Maybe you need a new config.guess more than anything.

If that doesn't help, you either need to get down-and-dirty with the
system headers to find out what to tweak, or install a Debian release of
the same era as Postgres 7.1.