Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
Date: 2010-07-28 20:10:08
Lists: pgsql-performance
> However, if we don't support that, we can't do any sort of pooling-ish
> thing without the ability to pass file descriptors between processes;
> and Tom seems fairly convinced there's no portable way to do that.

Well, what it would come down to is: are we prepared to not support
pooling on platforms without such a capability?  It's certainly possible
to do it on many modern platforms, but I don't believe we can make it
happen everywhere.  Generally we've tried to avoid having major features
that don't work everywhere ...