Re: /tmp/.s.PGSQL.${PGPORT}

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim O'Rourke" <JimO(at)Routescape(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: /tmp/.s.PGSQL.${PGPORT}
Date: 2000-08-19 05:35:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Jim O'Rourke" <JimO(at)Routescape(dot)com> writes:
> Is anybody else having problems with the /tmp/.s.PGSQL.${PGPORT} file being
> removed by cleantmp et al.

> /tmp is a dumping ground that rightly gets cleaned out periodically.

/tmp is a damfool place to have put the socket file, no doubt about that.
But we are stuck with it now if we don't want to break existing
applications --- the location of the socket file is a critical hardwired
part of the wire-level protocol, since the client and server MUST both
know it *before* any communication happens.

This was argued back around 6.4, IIRC, and we decided to do nothing.
The argument in favor of doing nothing seems even stronger now, with a
couple more years worth of existing clients out there...

Solutions:

1. Tweak your tmp-cleaning cron job to not remove the socket file.

2. Use IP instead of Unix-socket connections, so that your clients
don't care whether the socket file is there or not.