Re: Open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2003-10-28 15:11:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I think I have a compromise for --enable-debug:  How about if
> --enable-debug removes optimization, adds -g (or -g3 for macro debugging
> symbols in gcc), and maybe even enables casserts.

This strikes me as a completely arbitrary set of changes in
long-established behavior.  People who want to turn off optimization
already know how to do it, and people who want asserts already know
how to do that.  Eliminating the functional difference between these
--enable options isn't a step forward.