Re: Remembering bug #6123

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remembering bug #6123
Date: 2012-01-14 00:17:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> However, I wonder what use-case led you to file bug #6123 to begin
>> with.

> [ details ]

> Hopefully this answers your question. I went looking for details on
> particular failures here, but didn't have luck with so far. I can
> try again if more detail like that would help.

Well, the bottom line that's concerning me here is whether throwing
errors is going to push anyone's application into an unfixable corner.
I'm somewhat encouraged that your Circuit Courts software can adapt
to it, since that's certainly one of the larger and more complex
applications out there. Or at least I would be if you had actually
verified that the CC code was okay with the recently-proposed patch
versions. Do you have any thorough tests you can run against whatever
we end up with?