Re: [HACKERS] Perl 5 Interface on 6.5 and lo_creat/lo_open problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kristofer Munn <kmunn(at)munn(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Perl 5 Interface on 6.5 and lo_creat/lo_open problem
Date: 1999-06-23 23:38:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kristofer Munn <kmunn(at)munn(dot)com> writes:
> Is anyone else having any problems with the Perl Interface wrt Large
> Objects under 6.5?

> I compiled and installed 6.5 on an Intel/Linux/RedHat 6.0 machine that had
> previously had 6.4.2 and imported existing data from the old database.
> Perl scripts which were working under the previous version are now failing
> when trying to open a newly created large object. A line appears in the
> error log:

> Jun 23 17:40:47 www logger: ERROR: lo_lseek: invalid large obj descriptor (0)

6.5 enforces the requirement that LO objects be used inside a
transaction. Prior versions did not enforce this ... they just didn't
work very reliably if the lifetime of an LO FD wasn't encased in
begin/commit :-(. I suppose you had managed to get away with it,
but you'd be much better off adding the begin/commit even for 6.4.